I've worked in the Canadian financial industry for over a decade as both a developer and consultant. I currently work with a creative marketing agency in Downtown Toronto. If a technology targets the Java Virtual Machine, chances are I've used it.
I'm passionate about minimalism, clean code, questioning dogma, and using common sense. When I'm not geeking out, you'll find me at a cafe with a book in one hand and a coffee in the other, or at a dive bar playing drums.
- Over ten years of development experience. Most of it in Java.
- I'm passionate about designing and implementing simple solutions for complex problems.
- For over ten years I've worked on customer-facing applications that generate hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue and see millions of unique visitors every year.
The Technical Details
- Concepts: OOA/D + design patterns, automated testing (unit/integration/UI).
- Methodologies: Agile, (R)UP, waterfall.
- Integration: Messaging, web services, etc.
- Source control: Git (and a few others I'd rather never use again).
- Etc: General geek-ery.
The Softer Stuff
- Business segments: Wealth management, capital markets, creative marketing.
- Leading: Technical team leadership, "hands-on" architecture (drinking my own Kool-Aid), mentoring, coaching, presenting.
- Doing: Designing, developing, implementing, testing, supporting. The entire spectrum of the software development life cycle.
For who? From where?
A general idea of who I've worked for and where I learned my craft.
- An Ontario college
Computer Programmer Diploma
- > 1 Canadian banks (2000 - 2010)
Intern → Tech Lead
- Consultant (2010 - 2011)
A boutique consulting firm specializing in the financial industry
- Tech Lead (2011 - Present)
A creative marketing agency