I'm a software architect, developer, and tech lead from Canada. I'm currently seeking a new role, either contract or full-time.
If you’re interested in learning more about my skills and interests, I’d be happy to chat online or meet for a coffee. Please contact me on LinkedIn or via my contact form.
Entrepreneurship — Founded and managed RedElastic – a boutique consulting company specializing in Scala – from 2016 to present. Grew revenue to CAD $1.2 million in 2018 and hired/managed a team of three full-time developers.
Over 15 years of architecture, analysis, and development experience — Significant experience within the JVM and Java ecosystem, having performed the role of architect, team lead, and developer.
Leadership — Extensive experience as a leader of small highly-technical teams. Over three years of hands-on business experience, including sales, marketing, recruitment, and other forms of OpEx planning.
Experienced public speaker — Presenting at meetups, conferences, and private businesses around the world as a trusted expert on distributed systems and enterprise modernization topics. Founder and organizer of ReactiveTO, a meetup group in Toronto focused on distributed systems development topics.
Proficient technical writer — Regularly contributing to various publications such as Medium, InfoQ, and TechRepublic.
Architecture — Domain-Driven Design (DDD), OOA/D, distributed systems
Frameworks — Play, Akka, Spring
DevOps — Kubernetes, Amazon ECS, Terraform, Ansible
Ops — Implementing cloud and hybrid-cloud topologies for clustered, scalable, resilient systems
- Open source
- Previously employed at Lightbend, the corporate steward of Scala, Akka, Play, and Lagom
- Advisor to some of the top 2000 businesses on systems modernization projects
- Contributor to the open source community through various projects, videos, and writing
- 2 years of experience with Nurun (now Razorfish)
- Tech lead of the Walmart Canada modernization project
- Read the Walmart Canada case study here
- Capital Markets
- 2 years of experience with Bank of Montreal Capital Markets
- Senior developer and technical lead, working on https://www.bmocm.com/
- Performed enhancements to various FX and global wire transfer payment platforms
- Wealth Management
- 7 years of experience with CIBC Wealth Management
- Developed software used by financial advisors in every CIBC branch across Canada, including Financial Health Check, which was used by over 2 million Canadians to help them plan for their financial goals